Sunday, March 8

To my mom...



I was 17 when my mom insisted on my learning to drive car. I joined the motor driving school and by the time I turned 18, I was good enough to get the license. Though my dad never supported this idea openly, I always though he was glad I can drive. When I was learning, he never accompanied me. It was always my mother who used to come early from office to make sure that I practice every day. I never knew why she was so keen on my driving but I kindda for the first time today, felt proud of the fact that I can drive.


It so happened that today morning before leaving for college, I told my mom that I want to go to Malai Mandir (a south Indian temple, some 30 minutes drive from my home). She said she will come home early n same instructions were issued to my dad too. I reached home by 4:30 n mom dropped in after 30 minutes n set to prepare the dinner. Since it was Thursday and I was on a fast, mom hurried with the dinner so that I don’t need to starve for long. Dad came in at 6 n by that time mom had prepared the dinner. Mom asked us to get ready but my brother wasn’t in the mood to leave home so he said he will stay back. It was then when my dad said that he will take me with him in the scooter n mom needn’t come. I felt bad! Not that my mom is despo to roam about but I felt like she was in for the ride. Even yesterday when my brother wanted to go shopping for his birthday jeans, my mom had planned that we will have dinner outside but dad took my brother in the scooter saying that there will be lot of parking problem if we take the car.


I don’t know if dad doesn’t understand or he doesn’t think like that. Today when dad said we will go by scooter, I got very angry. I asked my mom to get into the car. She did n I drove her out of the colony. When we came out of our colony, I stopped by the side


Mom – “u sure u can drive?”

Me – “yeah.. I guess”

Mom – “its 7 o’clk, u know the way right?”

Me – “we’ll manage mom. We have to!”


It was the first time I was driving at night time. Its not that we were going to some foreign land, but u c we had gone only with dad always. Sitting in the back side is easier than handling the steering wheel…!! But I didn’t wanted to show to my mom that I was nervous, coz that would have made her lose her nerves. It was the question of mine and my mother’s ego now… more than ego, prestige. I didn’t want to let her down in front of dad. I wanted to fight for her.


After reaching half way, I stopped n ask my mom to touch one finger out of the two I offered. When she asked me what are they for, I said “Left or Right”???!!!! u can guess she wasn’t happy with the question, but to my greatest relief, we somehow reached the temple safe and sound.


Coming back was lot more easier. But a very strange incident happened. While I was stopped by the red light in the traffic signal, a small little boy (if he goes to school, probably he will be in 1st class) who was selling roses, came to my side window (open that time) and dropped one rose inside the car. Immediately he went to my car bonnet and kinda laid down on the bonnet. It took me some time to understand what was happening. In the midst of all this my mom said “probably the first guy who gave u a red rose”.. “ha ha ha that wasn’t funny mom!!!”. My mother never misses one single chance of my leg pulling. But that wasn’t my concern that time. I was trying to understand what this boy was doing. I switched off the car, took away the keys, crossed my arms and stared at the boy. My mom offered to get down and get him away but I asked her not to step out of the car. When the signal went green, there as this echo of “peeps” but the boy didn’t move nor did I. This was kinda a new strategy to get money out of ppl I guess, obviously no one wants to be highlighted and they will throw money at the boy and then he will leave. I didn’t wanted to do that. I waited and after 10 min he left n so did I.


On the way back me and mom had a good discussion on the need for women to step out of the so called ‘lakshman rekha’ drawn for her… we felt sorry for those women who had to sacrifice their small small happiness just coz their husbands/fathers/brothers were not interested in accompanying them. My mom was in a very rebellious mood n so was I. She advised me never ever to depend on anybody in life. According to her, these small small pains n restrictions made women to rebel severely n all the anger which was buried deeply all these years erupted violently. We silently thanked the revolutionaries who fought for women rights.


Back home when I was parking the car, I saw dad peeping out of the window. Obviously he was very nervous and poor him, he didn’t even had the guts to call n enquire if we reached temple safely. I felt sorry for dad. Like all typical ‘good girls’ I too always support my dad whenever there occurs an argument btw my parents coz my mother is such a strong candidate n is always right so she doesn’t really need a support. But this time I went against dad, much to his disappointment. Sorry dad, I was really cross with u that time. When I got into home, dad was smiling. He understood. Mom rushed back to kitchen asked me to have dinner before sitting to blog. Bingo mom! That’s exactly what am planning :)


I wrote it down 3 days back but am posting it today coz today being International Women’s day, I felt it will be an apt article for that. Happy Woman’s Day!

13 comments:

Eraj said...

oh gud1!!
u did right...
sometimes we (as womens)
need to show that we can be very independent if we want to....
and take good care of ourselves...

have fun..
happy blogging!

Karthick said...

hey,that was a perfect Women`s Day Blog, good one,Your mom seems lot more rebellious and guess you seem to fall perfectly in line,Being independent is quite important in contemporary times and your mom is bang on,you should be blessed to have parents like that , who strive to give teach you responsibilities in life, may be you should let your mom having a say on your bedtime as an isolated anomaly :).

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Eishal.. thanks so much.

@ Karthick - mayb u r right.. i feel a little bad when my mom rules my bedtime too along with many other things, but then i never complain to her. coz i know that wil make her feel bad. but i know whatever they do, its for my own good :)

Shekhar said...

Nicely written,A Women's Day blog,but with women's like u do v really need women's day. i mean the symbolism...

Anonymous said...

I dont think your dad ment to be unkind or insensitive its just that men often dont think very deeply and dont realise the consequence of their actions.
Anyway congrats on learning to drive.
http://cutestangel.wordpress.com/

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Raj - thanks!!

@ cutestangel - i know dad didnt mean the way we interpreted, it was an impulsive decision.. but the better consequence is it made my dad a bit cautious :)

Anonymous said...

wow! thats perfect.
perfect woman's day blog writeup

shouldering responsibilities what I don't find in people much these days.

That was Good!

Arun George said...

Well, must say.. that's the most perfect post for woman's day :)

Adisha said...

A Beautiful, well thought out post . Yup, those woman who depend Their happiness on the men in their life, ,should start taking the reins in their own hands :D as you did ...

You Do have a good sense of humor !! :) The " left and right" was funny ... as was ur mom's comment... humor runs in the family i see.. and u certainly are a good daughter ...

Cheers,
adisha

Do visit my other blogs as well...

nila said...

Wow..wonderful expression...Well...
We must always try to assert pur independence....
great dear....

Zeeshan Ahmed said...

Very Nice! :)
Very sweet as well...

Zeeshan

www.memoirsofzeeshan.blogspot.com

Ganesh said...

Well-written,and was surprised to hear regarding the new 'Begging strategies';lol!

Unknown said...

thank god aunty safely ghar pahunch gayi.i know i know bad joke.nahin yaar u r perfect in driving,lot of confidence and follows rules.thats all needed.seriously very much perfect women's day blog.actually the thing is, u write those things which happened in reality.u know everyone can relate to ur blogs.i think thats the best part.
aunty toh always right.she is very much right that we should not depend on others.hats off to aunty