Sunday, March 15

ThE OtheR GendeR !


Ahem.. ahem… certainly not a very fascinating topic to talk on, but yeah worth blogging about!

From the boy-girl fights in primary… to competitions in middle school… to hating each other in high school till finally befriending them in senior secondary, the journey was damn exciting and full of ups n downs… but the worst part of the whole experience is that it came to an end abruptly. It would have been lovely if the last phase could have lasted for long… but then the ‘farewell day’ of the school came n before I could realize anything, things came to an end! Let me take u down the memory lane… to peep into some of the precious pages of my diary….. ;)


There wasn’t a single day in my 5th grade when I (Preeti supporting me) and Arun (with Sreenath’s support) did not fight… Believe me, we used to fight like cats n dogs.. rather cats n dogs will fight more humanly than we used to do! One of the reason we used to fight for was coz we shared the same favorite song those days.. dil deewana, Pardes.. imagine we used to fight calling each other as copy-cat. I remember once me and my friends decided to name all the boys in the class. None of them were nameless.. so as to mention.. but we kinda wanted to show our innovations. We wrote down their new names in front of their old names on a paper n tried memorizing it. As a return gift, when the boys did the same… being girls, we all started crying n shouting n at-last our Hindi teacher got us sorted out by asking us to write the huge chapter of ‘tennali raman’ 10 times!!!! I am just wondering, who won? Hee… hee.. :)


When we girls had hurted their ego’s enough by always getting the top ranks, there came a challenge to me… but then we both ended up sharing the first place… n with that, the challenger gave up. Right after finishing off with the primary classes, this war of who is superior started, in all the possible spheres… right from quiz competitions… to recitation competitions… to debates to what not!! There wasn’t a consistent winner although, but the ups n downs kept the spirit up. Any one girl’s victory was as if the whole community has won and ofcourse a boy’s victory used to be hyped up… like all rare occasions ;)


By the time we reached 9th class, things had completely changed. They were not so interested in such silly competitions or fights… their ‘interests’ were changing… n it was becoming impossible for us to keep in-pace with them. There wasn’t a single girl in the class who was comfortable with ‘the other gender’ that time. These boys were really growing up n on-course were becoming pretty indecent. Am kindda searching for a comparatively decent incident to put in here… u c considering my reputation, I don’t think it will be wise to high-light a lot of incidents…


I had this habit of putting up a proverb on the black board every morning. It was such an usual day when I choose to write the proverb ‘face is the index of mind’… unfortunate decision… but I wrote that. It was then when Pramod read it n asked me to “replace ‘a’ by ‘u’ n ‘e’ by ‘k’”. The duffer as I was, asked him to explain me the meaning. There came Ashok for my rescue… most probably as a gratitude for my tying him rakhi since 6th class… he asked me not to listen to Pramod n to write whatever I want to. But like a stubborn, I was stuck to know the meaning, proving the proverb “ignorance is divine” wrong!!! When I was clear that they r not gonna explain, I went straight to my English teacher to know the meaning… incidentally she was my class teacher. Her reaction n expression would have made a pic… if only I had a camera with me… she said “Shruti, it’s a bad word!” n I turned pale… I seriously didn’t had a hint that it could be a ‘bad-word’. Poor Pramod, my class teacher sent a word to his parents… coz of my dufferness…!!!


Another one… our English teacher once asked us to dramatize a chapter in our text. Since there wasn’t much ‘friendship’ between boys n girls in the class, the boys of my class decided to perform one first. They decided on the chapter “Woman in platform no.6” .. something like that… In the script, the lady was wearing a white sari. Pramod was characterized as that lady n he got his father’s dhoti to put on as a sari… there was a scene in the text where this lady lends money to someone… when that scene came in the play, Pramod slipped his hands inside the sari under the left shoulder to take out his purse… n there went a LOUD “hoooooooooooooo” from the girls side n my teacher just dropped her face down. Krishna was quick to say “shirt ka pocket vaheen hai”… err!!! Whatever!! Disgusting!!! A later though made us thank god that he didn’t keep his purse in his pant pocket n put his hands under the saree to get the money!!


This was nothing, there used to be some incident or other every second day… n these things spread like forest fire!! Every girl had something or the other to narrate n these boys seemed so insensitive those days!! There was a time when I insisted my parents to change my school coz I though I simply cant pull on with this class… but then the situation was not better in any other school… I know coz of the same discussions in tuitions n as a shock I came to know that girl’s schools weren’t any better… it was then when I thought maybe it wasn’t the gender, but the age…! I remember once when it was really “TOO” much for us to tolerate, one day Rajini stood up in the class and in-front of everyone complained to her class teacher. Kudos to her courage!!! We all congratulated her for her act. That was indeed brave! Poor boys… maybe for the first time, they felt sorry.


Thanks to the out-station trip we went to in 11th class, the class united as one. These boys behaved very responsibly n the gender barrier was reducing… I took more time as compared to my other friends. I took one more year to actually befriend them n Ajay was most probably the first boy with whom I spend a lot of time… during nainetal trip… without getting irritated! Trip reminded me of a hilarious incident… we were just roaming about in the Mt.Abu markets when most of us got tired n headed for our bus. Suddenly from somewhere Krishna came shouting “uda liya… uda liya…” proudly showing off the keychain he had invisibleised (stolen)… as if its his oscar lady… hee hee… when from suddenly nowhere came this hefty uncle to catch hold of his ears… lol…. Poor thing he had to go n return it n even say sorry!!! Lol… we were all rolling down in the bus not able to control the laughter…!!!


The last year in school was seriously amazing with all of us understanding what the word “class” means… we all started asking for free periods together… each birthday was a celebration… the other gender wasn’t a foe but was a friend! Proverbs written on the black board were still changing say for example “united we stand, divided we fall” changed to “united we pass, divided we fail, dono nahi toh compartment” hee.. hee… no wonder farewell was with such a heavy heart!! If they were the same as they were in 9th class, farewell would have been a celebration, but all of us felt bad during the farewell n wished we had spend more time with each other!!


Almost all of those up there in the picture will most probably start working by the year end…. Its gonna be a fancy watching these “Cool Dudes” working as professionals… n if I let my imaginative horses fly, it will be fancier to see them parenting a little angel ;)


Good Luck Guys!!!!

17 comments:

Shiv Kiran said...

mount abu trip realyy united us all.!! miss those days specialyy that trip more than anything else. bhoot bangla and buffalo dog. lolz
so much fun. hope i get a chance to life that life again. i know was a real dumb guy that time. This makes me feel as if i have missed hell lot of things. :)

Shekhar said...

Hey nicely,written bought me back memories of my school days, A trip to nostalgia.

Good keep writing..TC

Anonymous said...

This is facinating stuff yaar. Yes the Mt. Abu trip deleted all the differences among us. The friendship grew stronger and stronger. After that trip no-one was a stranger in that class except for few who still are and thats unfortunate :(. We got to know about each other better than we ever did. "Simba" incident was realy hillarious and i remember that every day and it fills me with energy. Like how foolish we were but it was fun. I realyy miss those days. I agree ,,i was a jerk at that time!! may be it adds to my wounds of not having enjoyed that beautiful beautiful part of my life. If given a chance i would definitely like to be there again. Live like i have never lived before.
miss u all like hell. I wish some day we all will be together. Every single person might be in different profession but at same place at the same time every day. Just to see each others face and tease them "sale nautanki" or something similar .
thank u shruti for this.

Adisha said...

Hehehee... Good fun reading your post. What can I say ?! Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus. :)

Cheers,
adisha

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Shiv.. i would have written about u if u had ever talked to me in school... lolz... i donno if u ever noticed it but u c we both had a convo only once in the two years we studied together.. that was when i asked u to stand near the bio lab gate after lunch for doing the duty.. lol.. that too wasnt a convo coz even for that, u never spoke! but its unbelivable the way we chat now.. was that really us 4 yrs back???!!!

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ raj - thank u!

@ Adisha - hee .. hee.. so true! men from mars n women from venus surviving together in this poor planet earth.. lol...

Anonymous said...

@moti padaku,. yeh public mein bolna jaruri tha kya
hehehe

maluum hai yeh sab!!! :P

Ramaswamy said...

hey,
Nicely done !
i miss it 2.
was real fun havin evry1 around.
Thanks a ton for jottin it down.
x Rama

p.s: i think it ought to b continued by all of us sharing sumthing especially after all our efforts 2 stay in touch (viz common mail ids, social networkin) has been to no avail.

neha said...

amazing post hai yaar...its hilarious, touching and informative all at d same time..specially d proverb incident! u r simply amazing..keep it up girl!!

Anonymous said...

Nice post...It would have been better if you had not mentioned my "deeply regretted" and "unsuccessful" feat..and i dont believe u still remember the comment on that shirt pocket in the stage play....

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ shiv - hee.. hee..

@ Rama - what u said is right but this is wat i kept on saying since the day we left school, but u ppl doesn't even seem to be interested in checking the group id... leave alone mailing anything!

@ Neha - thanks dear.. thats so sweet!! actually it was ur post on 'eraser' that took me back to my school days n inspired me to write this. so thanks to u for that!

@ Krishna - lol... ur deeply regretted act was the first thing al of us remember when we talk abt MT.Abu trip.. n thanks to ur such act we got the 'simba gang'.. how can i not mention that? N yeah i remb lot many other comments too... other than this shirt one.. ;)

Prasanna said...

Hey thts a great work yaar, eventhough i spend little time , it was heaven, keep writing..

TC
:)

S A J I T H said...

"we all started asking for free periods together… each birthday was a celebration… the other gender wasn’t a foe but was a friend! Proverbs written on the black board were still changing say for example “united we stand, divided we fall” changed to “united we pass, divided we fail, dono nahi toh compartment” hee.. hee… no wonder farewell was with such a heavy heart!! If they were the same as they were in 9th class, farewell would have been a celebration, but all of us felt bad during the farewell n wished we had spend more time with each other!!"
Superb writingg.....keep writing...

Karthick said...

Its Good that i took so much time to read this post, i also got to read other people`s comment,ya as memorable as it is,some of the incident you mentioned really did tickle my funny bone,i could really see the face of your English teacher.The divide between gender grows with age , with our consciousness constantly monitoring us. Any way good to read a deja vu kinda of post,it really reminded lots of my past as well.
you dont have a better pic for your blog page profile.(I took little bit of leverage on telling you that)

Anonymous said...

Best memories are those of school days.

http://cutestangel.wordpress.com/

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Prasanna - thanks bro! great that u read my blog. yeah v spent little time together in school but i can never thank u enuf for teaching me how to set that microscope in bio lab... would hav prob never learnt it if not for u :)

@ sajith - thank u

@ Karthick - must have taken a long time na.. i wantd to cut-short but i just couldnt.. there is so much more to write that if given, i can make 10 more posts liek that.. lol... hope it would have lighten up ur mood for sure.

ya not a gud pic.. it luks good when magnified.. anyways, wil change it.

@ Cutestangel - so tru!!

Unknown said...

hmmm,very nice topic.but yaar i must say u have written it decently yet interesting.means u can go on reading ,i wanted it should not end.i think that says everything.gud very gud