Tuesday, July 28

Scope 4 Improvement.




Triggered by a question "how much is too much?" here I start....

I have always felt n was told by many many many people that I over-do things. Ayushi always gets irritated by my extreme mood swings. There is never a moderation, how so ever hard I try! Yesterday my M.Sc. first year results were finally out after a long time waiting. Since I had already lost 5 of my precious marks by applying for re-evaluation in a subject I considered myself best in, I wasnt expecting too great results this time. I had kinda prepared myself very much well for not seeing my name in the top 10 list. Yeah that was a negative attitude, I agree! Am a very positive person for others but when it comes to myself, there cant be anyone more rude n harsh n bad for myself than me! Am my best critic. With a well prepared heart mind n soul when I was searching my name in the list, starting from the bottom, I was shocked to find it as the 2nd topper. I seriously couldnt believe what I was seeing n started crying. Believe me or not, I saw my result at 11 n till 2 I was sitting in front of the library, Crying unable to believe that am not dreaming! Later when I convinced myself that I have actually scored so well, I went back to the notice board n Ayushi made me feel my marks by placing my fingers on the list.

There when I saw the topper's mark, I found I lost that position by 3 marks. Suddenly I felt, if I hadnt lost those 5 marks, I would have topped with 2 grace marks. Its sad I think like that. I know. But yeah that thought did flash-in for a second n I cant deny that. Though I completely erased it in a jiffy classifying it as a 'negative thought' but yeah it did occur to me for once. Its an irony, few minutes ago a result which looked unbelievable to me suddenly sounded short by 3 marks. Its not that am not satisfied with my marks now, rather am much more than satisfied n kept telling everyone that I scored much more than expected n am very happy. None of the mentioned words r false. But yeah maybe if I had not lost those 5 marks...!!!

Once during a convo with a friend, he asked "Am I expecting too much from her?" The fact was that, he wasnt really... its just that he was expecting an acknowledgment for his acts if not reciprocation n I dont think that will b called 'expecting too much'. But then how do we decide what is 'too much' n wat is not? Say for example in my first yr grad, I scored 74%, if I had convinced myself that its a good mark then probably I would have never scored 90% in 3rd year. I could do that coz I was not satisfied with my marks in first year n wanted to improve. There is always a scope of improvement left in any of our acts. But then if we start improvising big things, wont we miss out on small small things?

There r two choices:

a) be satisfied with what all u r getting
b) run in the rat-race n smell the thrill of achievement.

I dont know which one is better. When it comes to marks n position n status, I have set quite high standards for myself n will always go in for the (b) option but yeah for friends n family n social standards, am very much with option (a).

I was just running a short list of things which I think will come under the category of 'too much'. Lemme jot down :

  • Showing concern is Human, but dictating terms... is Too Much!
  • Misunderstandings happens, but fight... is Too Much!
  • Competing is healthy, but harming other... is Too Much!
  • Having self-confidence is fine, but looking down at others... is Too Much!
  • Praying to god for good result is obvious, but not studying for that... is Too Much!
  • Being innocent is helplessness, but acting idiotic... is Too Much!
  • Being flexible to changes is fab, but flowing with the tide always... is Too Much!
  • Giving treat is fun, but spending lavishly n wasting food... is Too Much!
  • Rains are heavenly, but the follow up 12 hr power cut.. is Too Much!
  • Pulling a friend's leg is enjoyable, but ending up hurting them... is Too Much!
  • Gossiping is notorious, but back-biting... is Too Much!
  • Over speeding in high-way is sure thrill, but same done in a market place... is Too Much!
  • Looking at girls is okie, but making them feel like an item for sale... is Too Much!
  • Doing a wrong act can be justified, but not feeling guilty for it... is Too Much!
  • Helping sumone is noble, but making them dependent... is Too Much!
  • Planting a tree is to be encouraged, but not watering it... is Too Much!
  • Fever is unfortunate to have, but being made to stick to bed the whole day... is Too Much!
  • Studying late night for exams is worth it, but missing out the essential 6 hr sleep... is Too Much!
  • Being busy is a fact, but not sparing a sec to reply to a friend's message who bothered to remember u in their good/bad time... is Too Much !
  • Getting stuck in traffic jam is unavoidable, but not bothering to inform that to sumone waiting for u... is Too Much!
  • Pouring frustation on blog is natural, but attempting to use all the words of English Dictonary on one post... is Too Much! Guess, I wil stop here.

9 comments:

Ham Actor said...

hahaha too much! too much!

angel from heaven said...

Loved the post straight from the heart.Ist and fore most Congrats on your wonderful result.
2ndly your too much points were wonderful .
Dont be too hard on your self you did fantastic.

Jack said...

Shruti,

No IFs and BUTs. Done is done. No point in regreting if those 5 marks were not lost.... . You always do what you think is best under prevailing circumstances, so no regrets. I would choose combination of choices - Be happy with what you have but do not let it stop you from striving for better. And I fully agree with you on your short list.

Take care

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Siva - hee hee.. yeah i know!!

@ Angel - thanks girl! thanks a lot!

@ Jack - Well I kinda recollected ur earlier post on "no ifs n buts" while writing, expected this line from u :)

Aparajita said...

Ha ha. Loved the last line. :D
By the way, congratulations on coming second; and just get that nagging I-missed-it-by-3-marks thought out of your head and celebrate!

neha said...

U writing a wonderful post with hundreds of errors and me pointing them out is usual, but u writing a super post with no errors is just Too Much!

Adisha said...

Too Much !! :))

Source of unhappiness is dissatisfaction !! For each person to be happy , a little is enough. And when you become a go getter, you may make a name for yourself, but that is NO guarantee for Your happiness !!!

Sad but true !! Congrats on ur achievement but I was sad to hear that you couldn't enjoy it coz u're being to hard on urself .... which is nver good ..

enjoyed ur list !! and cheer up girl ! Be happy ! Never regret what's gone for there's a lesson in there somewhere ... Be happy for what you have in ur hand for if you look at what isn't there you'll lose what u have too ...

whre's my PARTY ??? :D

Adijo said...

really nice post..makes me think about my own situation..me missed 2nd by 5 mks :P!
u cant be sad! 2nd ees awesome :P

anyway, the post is awesome..well written..i could picture u speaking because u write as u say it..am i right? :)

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Aparajita - yeah last line.. i know.. was tickling my dead sense of humor ;) thanks!!

@ neha - lol.. yeh too much tha ya nahi? i miss sumthing in ur comment when u dont point out my mistakes!!

@ Adisha - well sweetie, i sure was a little sad abt not being the topper but believe me, it was a thought which hardly hanged on for 5 min. i erased it off completely within seconds realizing that its not a good thought. n believe me, i thoroughly enjoyed my results, gave treats to friends... dad got chocolates n cake, bro gave me a chat corner treat, mom made my favs for dinner... really had a good time!!!

n yeah ur party due.. hope they come up with stuff like 'e-party' soon... even otherwise, Delhi is not that far ;)

@ Adijo - am no more.. agreed, 2nd is awesome!! yup yup.. i say/write what i think :)