Tuesday, July 21

First crush?


Ahem! Ahem! Give me a min... let me stop blushing first..!!!

Okk.. so for all those wondering 'wat the hell' am doing with this topic amidst studies n other pile of 'most important' list of work I got, well.... am just closing down a very special chapter of my life. I didnt title it 'confession' coz am not gonna do that... but in a way it wont b too wrong to title this as one.

The root cause for surfacing of this topic on my page again after quite a long time, was a school get-together I had last weekend. It was one of the biggest get-together we ever had after school days... we were 9 of us meeting up after 4 years...!!! Ah! I was so excited to meet them all... had so much to talk about... to enquire... to know.. to react to... to laugh... to cherish! I had carried an old school-time photo album n turning the pages took us 4 years down the lane. I felt like the small little school girl n no more like a would b lecturer...!! No wonder ppl say school days were the best. I never agreed to it before coz I always felt its 'fun to grow up'. But now I realise, its more fun to be growing up... fun is in the process n not in the destination!

We were playing 'truth-or-dare' sitting there in the coffee house... a closed packed group of 9 old friends... I knew am never gonna forget this moment! Truth-or-dare isn't a new game for me, had played it so many times in college n ever proud of the fact that I have absolutely No so damn embarrassing secrets that I would find difficult to let out. So I always felt its very safe for me to go for the 'truth' option. But here, guess my over-confidence gave me away. When the empty mineral water bottle stopped pointing out to me, I was away on phone. When I came back, I was informed that everyone is waiting for me coz am the next victim. No I wasnt nervous. I knew my chance gonna come... n I knew that its a well known fact that my life is not really very 'happening' n full of deadful secrets, so very confidently I said "Ask anything!".

Err... can I sumhow turn the clock back n edit that dialogue?? I wish I could.. but anyways... at that time I thought that I will be asked sum stupid question. Though I categorized the 'unknown' question as 'stupid', I didnt really had any clues of what the question could b. It was then when I was asked "name ur first crush". Gulp... Gulp... I knew that very instant, I cant answer. I was silent for sumtime... thinking of a way to handle the situation. "No haste.. No haste.." this was repeating in my head like that "om mangalam mangalam" mantra in the movie Kambaqth Ishq. I didnt wanted to show whats on my head... Yeah I know they r friends, friends have the rights to know secrets... but not this... anything but not this! I knew all the signs of nervousness people show, I made sure I did nothing of that sort. I didnt rub my hands, didnt wipe off the sweat rolling down the forehead, didnt pretend to have gotten an important call, didnt shake my legs, didnt changed the sitting posture, didnt react at all. Rather I looked around to find 8*2=16 eyes starring at me without blinking! I froze!

A tug-off-war between head n heart soon began inside me. I wanted to ask myself a few questions n get a few answers but then the constant glare was making me nervous. I knew am losing it. I said "I can't" but that doesn't convince anyone. They said "Shruti u r being a spoiled sport" Yeah I agree...!!! I agree am acting nutty.. I agree am making an issue of it... I agree am a coward... I agree am dramatizing... I agree! I agree! I agree! Anything else? can we please get to sum other topic now..!! But they doesn't seem to listen. It was Sneha who said "leave her, else she will start crying"... for once, I really felt like getting up n giving her a 'tight hug' for that. I offered to make sum other confessions but they were not interested in any 'other' thing. I used to think that am the only stubborn creature in the universe, but I was facing many like me there. I told to myself "So what if they r stubborn, u were the topper of ur class, u will top on stubbornness too".

There was another helping hand cuming forward asking me to name any one randomly... I tried searching for a random name... switched on the computer in my head, opened 'Google search'... typed the key word 'crush'.... searching... searching... searching... ah! Just one name... a name which I cant say... I felt disgusting! 20 year old n just one name! dah! I gave up. I said, I can't say n thats it. Soon the bottle spinned again n I sighed a relief!

Back home, the thought kept nagging me. I didnt quite get y I couldnt name. I mean, am I doing a crime to be hiding it from everyone.

Q) When is it that people hide things?
A) When they know that they r wrong.

Am not cheating! Am not doing anything wrong. God damn! Am a human being. I have a heart!!!! So what if it got attracted to sumone. What is there to feel so awkward about it. Just coz my image is that of a 'nerdy nerd' who just sticks to books all the time, doesnt mean that I cant have anything else in life. Just coz I love studying doesnt mean I cant do anything else. I have a life. I have a heart. I always felt, if I cant respect my own feeling then No one in this world can. I do respect my feelings a lot. I know for sure am not wrong. Whatever is happening, or so as to say has happened, has a reason. I dont know where all this will lead me to... I dont know if the day will ever come when I will be able to answer that question. All I know is whatever will happen, will happen for my own good coz one thing I can confess very confidently n that is, am a good girl who didnt ever do anything bad to anyone. So am sure that nothing BAD can ever happen to me! Ever!

23 comments:

Jack said...

Shruti,

It does happen that you do not want to confess such crush as some persons may make fun or if they know the concerned person they may communicate it to him which will be embarassing. Best to handle such situation is to be frank and say No. I had written a post on my love life some time ago and I would like your views on that. Not LOVE????.

Take care

Unknown said...

Identified a lot with this one... Unspeakable crush, Nerdy image, An uncontrollable aflutter heart...
I used to think I'm more-or-less the only one like myself in the universe. Maybe I was wrong ;)

angel from heaven said...

Nice post was it someone in the group???
Anyway whats the problem I am sure we had a crush on some one at some stage of our lives be it the kewl drama teacher or the boy next door.
Confess and be a devil!!!

Ash D said...

all I can say is, not bad, atleast you seem to have had one serious first crush!

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Jack - another tough question... yeah not love.. i dont really c him everywhere i look, like they show in movies... neither do i lose my senses when he is around... blah blah. nothing of the sorts they show in movies happens to me.. so guess its not love, hope so! n yeah i agree to wat u said completely! guess i didnt wanted to b made fun off... bingo there!

@ Sagar - ah my kind! i dont quite mind having a second crush, r u single?? ;)

@ Angel - yup yup. it was sumone from the group. guess, enuf of devilish confession.

@ Ash - certainly!

Ham Actor said...

Nice post, i always enjoyed your narrative style. Between who is your present crush? :P

El Furibundo said...

I make it a point *never* to join in this stupid game!! :D
-Furi

Aparajita said...

This made for fun reading. Truth and Dare games do tend to get a bit too difficult to handle at times. :)

S A J I T H said...

How on earth are you ever going to explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love?

too sweet post from yo!Cherish it!! Its irrelevant saying it to world!!

Keshi said...

aww those wonderful crushes. I hv the wierdest of crushes ya know. I even had a serious crush with a man who's abt 30yrs older than me! :)

And hey ty for visiting my online home. ur blog is really beautiful! I like the way u express ur deepest thoughts here. Keep writing!

Keshi.

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Siva - hey thanks buddy! well present crush? hmm.. lemme think.. well its not a crush as such, guess it wil b that guy in blue t-shirt who is following me religiously for the past 3 months in the garden i go for eve walk. i just started noticing him, so guess it wil take him sum time to be titled 'crush' ;)

@ Furi - haa haa.. u seem too frustrated with this game. I have no issues with playing stupid games, just this one question!

@ Aparajita - ya.. too difficult to handle.

@ Sajith - yup. point noted. am nodding heavily!

@ Keshi - thanks girl! thanks a ton!

Adisha said...

Some things are hidden not becoz they are right or wrong ... maybe just coz they are private coz they are truly special ...

Sometimes some memories or feelings feel like they'll disappear if said out loud ... Thats all ...

You have a lot of life yet to live and many crushes still to feel :D

Thoughts Over Chai said...

even if you haven't revealed the name its brave enough for you to atleast write about it on ur blog.feeling better? If you have any fears related to your crush then i think you should just let it go instead of burying it deep in ur heart.
nice blog!

Element-In-U said...

Great post...

_Element

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Adisha - quite tru.. i missed out that point. mayb yeah.. that could b a reason n thanks for keeping up my hope ;)

@ Tasneem - hey thanks! yeah feeling much better... blogging sure helps a lot.

@ Element - thanks!

Sree said...

Crushes do happen! Nothing to feel bad about it that you end up calling it a "confession"...The first ones are to be remembered..the latter ones, to be made fun of! Same with you lady, you are doing perfectly fine! :)

(Psychic) Rx, Sree!
Lolz...

Karthick said...

Unbelievable question!!
You hide only when u do a wrong thing...??nay absolutely not..
I wonder where u took this cue from...

Its just that everybody needs a degree of privacy in sensitive matters,and just want to keep certain things at bay for sometime.And I bet that u wouldn't have hesitated to name it,if it was not an an active one,so rock is a little deeper than it actually seems.So don't rack ur brain too much, some things have more simple and obvious reason than it conventionally seems.All for good!! All good things will happen to U!!

neha said...

Hi Shruti!
A wonderful post i must say! I cannot judge whether it was intended to be a serious post or a funny one, but until the last para came about, i was laughing my head off!

"Glup Glup..", I think u meant "Gulp Gulp.."..lolzz...and that was just one!

Anyway, coming to the real content, lets say I understand. To accept our liking for a particular thing/person in front of anybody, our heart needs to know that we deserve that thing/person.
Sometimes, we have low self esteem. We believe that there are hotter ppl around, so we do not stand a chance. Rather than being proven a loser, why not pretend that we are not interested in the race at all? And we spend so many years pretending, we forget what we really wanted! (Believe me, I am saying this out of personal experience)

Another reason is that sometimes we build an image of ourselves in front of our friends, and then we are pressurized to maintain that image. Once a topper, always a topper. The day u score an 89 instead of a 90, all glares are upon u! Same way, for some of ur frnds u r not the crush-love type.

No nothing bad will happen with you, bcoz u r a good person. Actually, a very good person. But well, I think we strive all our lives to be free from something, our studies, our exams, then our job, then kids' studies and finally life. The first step and final step would rather be to being free from ourselves, and from our own inhibitions!

Sorry about the lecture...but I wrote things which i thought would be able to touch at the current state of mind. Have Fun! And keep Writing more posts...please write more often...Reading ur posts is one of my fav hobbies!!

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Sree - hey thr Mr.Psychic, thanks for the free councilling session ;)

@ Karthick - I thought that was an obvious answer. now got ur point. the major factor for mine hiding as far as i understood is, when U name sumone in public, fingers starts pointing to both the parties. Priorities need to be checked both ways. u know every minute detail so i dont need to explain. thanks for the last line ;)

@ Neha - a BIG time Hug to u..!!! U can read me so damn well... every time!!! U know what, u r my ever secret strength n i know each time i mess up (@ any damn thing) u always guide me out so well... i owe a hell lot to u... thanks girl! thanks a ton! can never thank u less for what all u do for me. feel blessed to have a guide like u in my life!!! n for the spelling mistake, i wil edit that. so usual of me!! oh btw this was supposed to be a serious post but guess my narration made it hilarious ;)

Nilofer said...

Hey Shruti...

It's just a phase of life that everyone comes across.... You are truly stong enough to admit it...

Visit my blog.http://parentingworkshop.blogspot.com

NeoDharmar said...

Hmmm.. I read the post throughout for the sake of knowing whether you revealed it or not.. If you haven't then for good God's sake please don't do it. And yes, there's nothing wrong in having one. I remember my cousin saying, "There's a problem with you if and only if you don't get such a thought". The post was really interesting. And a nice blog to comment on.. after a month's gap.. :)
Have a nice day.

Crazy Blogger said...

guess it was some1 from the group. right??

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Nilofer - thanks! ya sure wil visit u soon :)

@ Gopsay - ya after a months gap.. keep visiting often.. u r always welcome here. guess there isnt anything wrong with me.. yuppy!!!

@ Manjari - Yup! Yup!