Thursday, May 14

The Power-puff Girls!



A long time pending post which I had planned to put up last August. I wont say I didn't get time coz that's not true but due to some reason or the other, this one kept getting postponed. Anyways, a week back Ayushi warned me that she will throw me outta the bus if I don't sit and write about 'us'... well she has been waiting for it for a long time now.. so here it goes........

The powerpuff girls "Shibumi, Ayushi, Shruti" (d title we got on our farewell day by the juniors).... The perfect trio... the first-benchers... the very hardworking... the most talkative... the professor's pets... the library addicts... the inseparable... the 'never had a fight' group... the damn helpful... the always together... in short, the ideal best-friends! My mother always says that in school u make friends who r cherishable but in college u make friends who r simply unforgettable... n these two very spl ppl come under that category!

Am not gonna start off with the history of how we became friends n all that, but seriously I had no IDEA of how close we will get. Me n Ayu are quite immatured as compared to Shibu... (U can close ur mouth Shibu, I know I never accepted... but its true). My mom says me n Ayu are like the two plates of the physical balance n Shibu is like the hook up thr balancing the both of us. But I have learnt a lot from this girl. Shibu is like 'I can take care of myself !' kinda girl n she sure can... she was staying in a hostel during the three years of our graduation n managed that tough life very effectively. Her hostel gossips n hostel food was a hit amongst us. Ever heard of anyone going crazy over hostel food? well me n Ayu were... though Shibu classified it as 'inedible' we both could never come over the fetish for that n would gladly exchange our home-made lunch for her hostel's packed lunch.

Each morning when I used to leave home, sitting in bus I will recollect all that happened last evening coz I have to giv an account of all that to them... everything.. right from visitors list to what was cooked in the dinner to wat all mails I got to wat I saw on TV to who all were online last night.. everything!!! And mondays really used to leave me exhausted coz that used to cover up the weekend news which would just go on n on n on...! There was never a scarcity of topics to talk about yeah but sure there used to be a scarcity of time! In first year we did a hell lot of exploration trips in Delhi n have gotten lost many times (:D) But each day was a new day n we never gave up. In second year we got to 'eating out' n 'partying out' things... watched many movies n each time I used to sit with Shibu coz she was someone who can go on translating n explaining me each scene along with the on going movie... a parallel cinema used to run for me directed by Shibu. In third year as a very pleasant surprise, Ayu shifted to the house right behind mine n like they show in movies, me n Shibu visited her new house many times asking for help n stuff.... we really enjoyed al that.

Of course how can I not mention the great birthday celebrations we had... the best one according to me was Ayushi's second year birthday. Me n Shibu had planned that we will buy a cake for her n drop at her place shouting "surprise"... that time she was staying in SN n not in my locality. We had visited her house before but were not sure about her address, so one day I was playing with her purse n said am not gonna give back... probably Ayu took it as an usual kiddish act of mine, but the real reason was that I wanted to note down her address from her ID card. Me d smarty... smarty... ;) To book the cake, Shibu said she needs to pay her bill n called me to accompany her but Ayu offered to company... but we didnt want her... I made a crying baby face n said "Last time u went with her, its my chance now... so u r not supposed to come!" hee... hee... on her birthday when we reached her house she was sooo happy....!! N when she collected the bits one by one, she was sure impressed!! In third year we had planned a treasure hunt for her n I remb I spent a whole of my electronics lecture in writing the hints, sitting in the front bench.

Though all 3 of us used to sit in the first bench, I never sat with Shibu. The reason being that once in first yr we sat together in a Quantum class n sir asked us to derive a very simple expression, we both were the first once to do n sir said that 'this expression got a Nobel prize' n we both just couldn't manage our laughter. With Shibu passing cross comments on everyone n me never able to control my expressions, we decided never to sit together. Ayu is very balanced in that sense n could always handle Shibu's witty n funny comments on every professor with a decent smile n then after they have left, they would share it with me n we would get the roofs down with laughter. Shibu used to keep my mobile phone with her always n would b playing 'snake' sitting in the first bench... n surprisingly, she never got caught. Ayu is one of those typical 'yes sir, yes mam' kinda girl. The topper of the class with all assignments, notes everything complete. I remember once in 3rd yr, I had a doubt in an assignment question, though 3 days were left for the submission of the assignment but we had to submit it to the class the very next day so that everyone else could complete it, so i messaged Ayu to scan me the answer n mail me. When i got her 20 scanned sheets n went thru each one of them carefully, I dint get the answer at all. I called her up n asked where is the answer n she said "Yaar, I have a doubt in that.. I have just written the introduction, if I get the answer by night, I will mail u else we will ask sir tmrw".... U can guess my reaction!

Of course the fest n farewells were no less enjoyable with us presenting our dancing skills. This one thing bonded us very strongly that we three loved to dance. We never cared of who is seeing us, or who is saying wat, But we loved to dance!!! During the first year farewell to 'super-seniors' we danced on "say na say na" (bluffmaster) choreographed by Shibu n it rocked!! During the mid of second year this Departmental fest came in which left many scars in the heart of many people in my class n had soured many relationships. We three decided never to participate in any of such events but when farewell to our seniors came, we gave up all our egos n rocked the dance floor with a highly highly well choreographed n heavily practiced dance on the title track of 'dhoom-2'.



As of now, Ayu is doing her post graduation with me n am simply too glad about that fact. Shibu dropped a year n was preparing for her CAT n went down to Hydrabad to stay with her parents. We went to see her off in the station when she left Delhi n it was a real senti moment. We really miss her n there doesnt pass a single day when we forget to mention her name. Last December I went to meet her in Hydrabad, clubing it with a family vacation to Aurangabad... n was very happy to see her!! Fortunatly for us, she got thru a college in Delhi for her MBA n will be coming back to Delhi this June... the wait is on with full excitement n plans!!!

I don't know how those three years of college life would have turned out to be if I hadn't gotten such friends... Like everyone, I had always longed for such 'life-time' friends with whom one can be oneself... these two turned out lot more than I expected. They were there with me to celebrate my small small happiness to big achievements... to cheer me up during little disappointments to great depressions... they never hesitated to tell me am wrong but at the same time didn't leave my hand when others were trying to prove me wrong... they didn't like mine shedding tears for every small n big thing but then they were equally willing to wipe it off n replace it by a smile on my face. At-times when I sit recollecting those days n incidents, I feel really really lucky!

9 comments:

Adisha said...

That's such a wonderful post, dedicated to your best friends, who rock your world !! :)

It was really very nice to read about your friendship and memories and dances .. May God bless you three with happiness always ...

Cheers,
adisha

Arush Mittal said...

very nice post! :)

shows how much u love ur frens..n nicely put together thoughts!
keep writing! :)

god bless the trio! ;)

Karthick said...

Boy.,it took me forever to complete reading it, were u trying to write a six volume book or wat??,anyway good detail description on ur friends, I got a good insight into them, now tell me who is who, bubbles,buttercop & blossom??

yeah great trio,u remember the title song of the powerpuff girls,

Just in time ,
trying to save the world,
here they come,
powerpuff girls.
.:)

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Adisha - yup! they sure rock my world!!

@ Arush - thanks!

@ Karthick - hee hee.. rather I have left a few incidents so that they have something to write.. well Ayushi is bubbles.. d bubbly bubbly girl (she is in the center in both the pics). Shibu is buttercup... the 'never mess with me girl' her temper is certainly frightful, but she always stands for wat she thinks is right, watever it may take (d tallest amg the three). n am Blossom... ever making plans n trying to act like a leader always :)

Sorcerer said...

very nice work
as always.. you have exceptional flow.its great to read

neha said...

verrrrry cute! it made me laugh and feel so good, so nostalgic, all at the same time...hats off to the 'never had a fight' group!

the ayushis 20 page intro was simply hilarious! I was a victim too...but I dint call her up..another matter...

u kno, i always used to wonder what was it about that drab snake game shibumi was so hooked on to...

and ur various adjectives to the threesome..."library addicts","professor's pets"...so apt i tell u! all of them...

btw, other errors of language i will forgive..but one..i wont..
"soaring relationships" in a way means that relationships were IMPROVED beyond imagination...
I am sure second year fest did not do that to our relationships...
what you meant is "souring relationships"..Kindly rectify..or mayb some ppl would faint!

all in all, a lovely post...

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Sorcerer - thanks so much!

@ Neha - even i tried playing that 'snake' whenever she was kind enuf to giv me my mobile, but never understood wat ws so spl abt it.. well yeah lib addicts, but u know I had different reasons for being a lib addict ;) n shibu had to get into the lib to pull me outta it.. so indirectly she too got addicted.. hee hee... didnt realize one 'u' changed to 'a' makes sooooooo much difference. thanks a hell lot for pointing out... i know some ppl sure would have fainted.. hee hee...

SWATZ said...

Waooo... guesss what freinds are THE LIFE... especially when you have a couple of close friends wom you adore to the exten of madness...lol..!!

Nice post... I like.. :)

Ramaswamy said...

This blog got me thinking about my college days as mine are also over now!! I guess there is an elementary difference between guys n gals when it comes to the concept of friends. But, in the end it is friends who make the days memorable no matter where in world you are sitting....