Tuesday, May 19

20 year old girl


Amidst d shortest vacation in the history of all my vacations, am seriously getting bored. I had lots of plans.. dad fulfilled top most priority in my wish list n got me an unlimited internet connection but who can get glued to the stupid PC whole day long with nothing constructive to do. Yeah I agree I did get glued during the initial days, downloaded all the songs I wanted to n all those which I never even heard off before... Read 100s n 1000s of blogs... went thru my orkut scrap book n re-read all the 10,300 scraps there... had long long chats with my friends... checked out many videos in u-tube... blah! blah! blah! All utter waste of time... got so bored of all that... now my gtalk status reads 'Bored 2 d core...' almost permanently.

Was thinking of starting off with paintings again but then feeling too lazy... all the colours must have dried up by now, need to soak them in little water, gotta search for the brush, donno where I kept the mixing plate d last time I painted... so that's dropped for the time being. Was thinking of watching some movies or go shopping with friends but its so damn hot outside that it pains to think that I have to step out for that. Books? well.... Had enuf off books for exams, not again... hardly any collection, didnt buy any for long n seriously not interested in moving out to buy one. Tried cleaning up the kitchen for mom as a surprise but that hardly took 4 hrs, gosh! she keeps it so clean that I was surprised. Dad's cupboard? noo... he'll kill me if I misplace any of his papers... Bro? well.... he never did mine so y should I do his...?? Even cooking has lost charm, doesn't seem to be a big deal now... was so much fun when I was learning that.. but now.. aaahh no big deal. No new experiments on the recipes.


Dad gave the car keys n asked me to go where ever I want to... do whatever I want to... gosh! Y do ppl get so sweet when u least expect them to. It would have been so much better if he had asked me to do 'this' n do 'that'.. at-least I would have had something to do. Tried my hands on clay-modeling this time. Was making n remaking small small toys outta the lump of clay I got, but that was so monotonous so left. Am not the kind of a person who can sit idle even got 5 min. There HAS to be something for me to do. As a matter of fact, am kinda addicted to studies n when-ever I get done with my exams, I get to this bugging, deadly boredom.


This Sunday I got so bored that I went shouting to mom asking what to do to kill this boredom. She said, y don't u do something like a '20 yr old girl'... err.. excuse me! what was that? Some thing for me to spend the Sunday on... wow! something to think... mayb to blog too... so there my brain finally got some occupation... lovely. So it started... my observations n thoughts all mixed up n shuffled n tangled.. time for some untangling. So what do a 20 yr old girl do in vacations?


Roam abt in malls? ah! who will step out in sun?

Shopping? I gave that to mom already, n she said she will do it for me.

Flirt with guys? noo not me... needs a hell lot of patience.
Chit-chat over phone? Last thing I'll ever do...

Cleanup house? Cook? Read books? Done! done! done!


I felt this thought process is leading me no where so went on chat, asking suggestions from random 'so claimed' 20 yr old I caught in chat rooms (didn't ask frds coz I felt too lame to ask that). There I got to know something, I never had thought about, the 'grooming' sessions! Well... am not the type who stand in front of the mirror asking how am I looking in this pink dress or howz my new hair style or things like that. I never bothered for such things, wears whatever comes to my hand n head. Am not really fussy about the way I look but yeah I always wanna look decent n matured. But then am not too keen always.. anything will do for me, anything!
I have been to beauty parlors before to have hair-cuts most of the time but always with my mom. I remb when I was going to join colg n went for a hair-cut to the parlor with mom, d aunty there said "ab toh akele bhi aa sakte ho"(now u can come alone too...) But I never really went alone. U c when one lacks knowledge of a subject, then that confidence is never there. I can attend grand seminars on Physics with ease but this 'beauty' stuff I really lack the knowledge n it shows off each time I need to go to the parlor. I remb once in 1st yr I tried 'bleach' on my face n the next day when I went to college, my friends said "Have u coloured ur hair?" I said "No! I tried bleaching my face but when I was washing, it went to my hair n that got coloured" Shibu slapped me for 'attempting' something so stupid. There wasn't another day... but since mom asked me to do something like a '20 yr old girl' n d general survey I took showed me that at-least 85% r very regular to beauty parlors, I decided to do the same.

Now it was decided that I'll b going to the parlor. Next question was what to do there? I have seen a friend trying 'hot wax' n I had pledged that day that am never gonna do that even if asks for my life. No never. I saw her in tears outta pain so I was thinking of something less-painful. Hair? well they r in a good shape now, y bother them so much. So what is left? yeah my face... what do they call that thing they do the face? I donno... mayb the parlor lady will tell me. So it was decided that am going to the parlor next day to get 'something' done to my face. That evening when dad came home, I said "dad can u giv me some money? I wanna go the beauty parlor." Dad said "How much?" n I said "err... well.. I don't know maybe 100 or something. I don't know" He gave me 500 n said keep it!

So next mornign I was up early to go to the 'beauty parlor' ... Alone! Left around 11 n had no idea of how long it will take. I didn't take the car, thought of having a walk, not that far after all. Climbed the stairs n kept telling myself to act smartly n not to show off that I know nothing. Up there greeted the aunty confidently n when she said "kya karna hai beta"(here for what?) I said... that face... err.. what do u call that... face... something.. she gladly cut me short n said "facial" n I nodded softly thinking in my head "Good job girl! wasn't that tough". But no... I was wrong, there was something else coming up from her...


she asked "which one?"
me "how many do u offer?"
she "well we have wide ranges, u can go in for papaya, banana...."

me thinking 'am i ordering a milk shake? wat has these things gotta do with facial?'

showing my usual over smartness I said "apple???"

she "apple? we don't have apple!"

me to myself "shut up shruti! don't show ur ignorance. chose one from she offered. anyways, she wont make u eat it!"

so like a good girl i said "anything aunty... everything suits me"


Uff!! wat relief.. I didn't bother to ask which flavor she chose.
So I was to get changed on to a stupid costume of theirs n get seated. I did. There came this young girl with apron n stuff with a smile on her face, I wanted to ask "r u 20? wat u do in ur vacations?" but then I stopped myself. She didn't give me much time... made me half-lie down in the chair, tied up my hair with a band sort of a thing n started working on my face... I didn't bother to ask anything. She put some face pack kinda thing which was too chill that I started sneezing... it was itching n cold n irritating... I kept stopping her n rubbing my face till she warned me that she will tie my hands if I don't stop... okk watever... she should not come to know its my first time... I should act smartly.... even mom is not there with me to save me... she used many things.. some oil, some creams.... some packs... it was testing my patience.

I couldn't even have my head-phones on n listen to music... they had a radio thr but were tuned on to AIR fm n there was this discussion on 'rural development' going on... n I was certainly not interested in that. I tried overhearing some conversations but till my ears range reached I could catch up 2 women discussing their naughty little kids. Kids? Last thing on earth I wanna hear about... So realizing the fact that I had no other option than sitting quietly, I was framing this blog on my mind.
But then, time flew n before I realized, she declared that its all over. I woke up from my dreams n said "over?" wanted to ask her the flavor she used, but then gave up on that. I smiled n thanked her n asked "How much?" She smiled back n said "300 only". what??? 300 for this rubbish thing u did to my face? 300 for spending a day of my vacations on something that a 20 yr old girl wil do. A quick calculation ran on my head 300*2=600/365 ... I could have bought toffees daily for one n a half years with that money!!!!

But then I dint wanted to show her all that... gave her the crisp Rs.500 dad gave n came back home. But watever... it felt good... I felt very relaxed n that afternoon had a real good nap. N ofcourse back home that evening, announced to all those I could get an hand on that I spent Rs.300 on beauty parlor... n it did surprise all those who got that news coz that's not really something people expect from me... but then am a 20 yr old girl!

15 comments:

Adisha said...

Babes , I tell you ... Reading your blog is always such a pleasure !!! The humor in your tone always brings a smile to my face and the way your describe things is brings a crisp picture to mind...

Hmmm, 20 yrs olds ?? When I was 20, every day after college, we used to take a walk, giggling all the way to the bhelpuri shop, have half plate bhel and half glass juice and then spend 2,3 hours online ... That's when chatting / email was Just catching on !! :))

Good to hear about your day... You're such a good gurl ,helping your mom and appreciating your dad.. your bro, not so much though :D :)) I rmember the first time I went for waxing. It wasn't bad... and still isn't very painful !! So don't worry for when you Might want to :) Facials are usually to give you a glow and come to effect 1.5, 2 days after the actual facial takes place... :) 300 seems excessive but then depends on which parlor u go to ...

Well, that's all for now ... Seems like as I was commenting on your blog, you were commenting on mine :)

About God !! When due to some reasons, I'd lost my faith ! And over time, as I got faith in myself back, my belief also increased. Not that I'm a religious person per say !! Always have believed it's each person to his own ...

CRD said...

hehe. baap re...ur sooo bored? thanx god guys have sports and video games to fall back on [:P]

u cudve had a manicure and pedicure done too mebbe with the remaining 200 bux..:d

Cheers
Hope u found something to kill boredom by now

CRD

Rohan said...

Rofl @ dont know what to get done at a beauty parlor!!

I seriously think u need a boyfriend :P lol !

Seriously, guys are so much more lucker, hairy hands, facial hair, hair cut saloon where they can go and tell the barber ' cut it as u like' and at the end pay only 50 bucks for it !

Too funny this was !

Cheers

cutestangel said...

hee hee this is so funny bored really?? How about a long soak in the bath, pamper your self, paint your nails , manicure, pedicure ,experiment with different hair styles ,When I was your age we friends should to meet up at each others houses have a cloths swopping party, experiment with different makeup and looks and just had a giggle.
We would cook and eat and play music and have lots of fun.No time for boredom!!
Try joining the gym too, a good workout is great for the body and will kill your boredom and who know you may meet a gorgeous hunk there too!!!lolz!!
http://cutestangel.wordpress.com/

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Adisha - I blushed so badly reading ur comment.. n now that 1.5 - 2 days r gone since i had my facial, its al the more glowing.. hee hee... n i didnt had much knowledge abt parlors so settle for the one closest to house. mayb next vacations when i plan my next trip, i can check out on another one ;)

and abt that god thing i asked u, i tht i wil come back to ur post to get the answer.. but so sweet u gav me here. frankly speaking u r in the top 5 blogs i luv to read n all ur blogs r awesome!!!

@ CRD - Well I rushed to deposit that 200 in my bank account while coming back home :D

@ Rohan - i liked that 'dont know what to get done at a beauty parlor!!'.. n thanks for sharing ur thoughts.. but i dont think having a boyfrd would have changed anything thr. never tried peeping in men's saloon.. so no comments on that!

@ Cutestangel - hee hee.. u gav me so much to do!! wow!! i keep painting my nails but this vacations i tried designs on that... hee hee tried white n black strips n crazy stuff... as far as makeup goes, i dont even have a lip-stick with me.. i thought mayb i can keep that stuff for the next yrs vacations.. n i tried gym last yr, n sure it was flooding with many 'gorgeous hunk' ;)

NeoDharmar said...

I had a good laugh reading your post. It's mandatory (if not, almost all gals should learn) to know abt Facials. The "Apple?" remark was so humorous. When everything's done, I wonder why you didn't choose to hang out with your frndz. The only problem I felt was that this post could have been shortened (bcoz many don't have enough patience to read a post of this size). You made sure the humor content n entertainment didn't ebb at any place. Keep posting more of this sort.



But I certainly can't believe that you don't know anything abt FACIALS! Nice post. Keep it going.. :)

Cheers,
Gopsay

Suyambuvel. M said...

LMAO...
nice blog keep writing!

Sorcerer said...

haha


Amazin post

showing my usual over smartness I said "apple???"
she "apple? we don't have apple!"
me to myself "shut up shruti! don't show ur ignorance. chose one from she offered. anyways, she wont make u eat it!"
so like a good girl i said "anything aunty... everything suits me"

You should check out some real good gamin titles

neha said...

kya baat hai yaar!

A whole big blog on a worthless facial! Cheers!

Its such a pity they dint have apple...U wud have gone red like the fruit by the time they wud finish...lolz...

Next time, try waxing...and dont forget to ask for the banana flavor!

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Gopsay - mandatory? Oh boy! never knew that rule...n i never thought i need a facial to hang out with my frds.. didnt really understand the connection. n abt the length, i totally agree.. each time i try to b short but then never know when to stop.. it just goes with the flow.

@ Suyam - thanks!

@ Sorcerer - well i initially thought of putting d title as 'mirror! mirror! on the wall...' but then forgot that when i complete d post n then felt too lazy to change this.. anyways am not good at choosing titles!

@ Neha - oye miss beauty expert, this blog is a result of ur exams, if u didnt had ur exam that day, i would have called u up asking for details n i would have gone ther like a well trained soldier on the war front, not like an unequipped civilian! oh btw.. do they have flavors for waxing too? gosh! not again!!!

Sree said...

Lolz...you did that many things...!! :) But ya, its so boring indeed to be not doing something you like to do...
But then such days wont be back! So enjoy the break! :)

Karthick said...

Almost half of the post was very alien to me, u get good sleep wen go to parlor..?? never knew tat,may i should try some mens parlor we i am going insomniac...

Life is short to get bored...)Okay i know i am the ideal person to say tht, but still, universal :)

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Sree - Sure.. thanks for the advice! but then today my vacations r all over.. n am glad ;)

@ Karthick - Buddy! I told u this one is girlish.. ya mayb u can try that... might help.. u n ur universal logics, at-times i wonder rnt i included in the universe? hee hee ;)

Ramaswamy said...

Well written post.
I bet you like Apples more than papayas/ bananas; it’s been about a month since this post of yours, I hope now you are over the uneasiness that you mentioned and are more comfortable doing the trips. I expect you to continue this as outward appearance is as important as the knowledge or brains in the type of society that we live in.

Ham Actor said...

Gosh! i was reading this post sitting in my office desk (the normal thing i do here ;)) giggling all the way, your humor really amazes me. Try Oil bath to have a great afternoon nap, ah...it may not be a nap i am sure.
Good post.