Thursday, February 12

D Artist in ME...


While going through an artistic blog today, I felt like displaying my artistic talents in my page. Although am not a trained painter, I did invest some precious years of my life practicing glass painting.


When I was in 2nd class, I started off with drawing classes (as a hobby class). I didn’t had a proper drawing teacher in school. The first thing I learnt to draw was a ‘colorful tree’ and my drawing madam got an insight of my talent! There was this drawing competition in some school in Kalkaji (South Delhi) in which my dad wanted me to participate. When my mom told my drawing teacher a week ago, she decided to teach me to draw an ‘Elephant’ coz according to her, I could manage a house, tree, diwali, scenery, etc. etc.


I somehow really liked the ‘Elephant’ I drew and I was silently hoping to get to draw that in the competition, after all I was practicing for the whole week! My mom accompanied me to the school and when I took out my chit the topic was “My Mother”. I was disappointed. But never the less, I decided to draw my ‘Elephant’ first. I didn’t knew how to draw human figures that time but dad had taught me ‘stick’ drawing. I made my Grey Elephant and draw a ‘stick’ lady with long hair on top of it! I remember when I came out and told my mom, she had a heartily laugh. Of course I didn’t win!


After that once when I was in 4th or 5th class, I had gone to some place to attend a ‘children’s party’ during Christmas with mom, dad n my brother. There was a drawing competition organized there of which I wasn’t aware of before. I didn’t even had my crayons with me but mom insisted me to participate. I really wasn’t in the mood to leave the party and sit to draw. But since mom forced me, I borrowed a pencil from someone and started drawing. It was an open topic and I drew scenery. I didn’t want to stay back for the results, I wanted to go back to the party but mom made me wait. They started with the constellation prize which I didn’t get n I wanted to run back. Mom was holding me tight n guess what??? I got the FIRST prize for that!!!! I was so surprised that I actually asked them ‘why am I getting this’? The judge told me that I had made the picture very neatly and she was impressed!!! Well… so was I :)


Winning a prize made me feel like the female M.F.Hussain and I started drawing (/scribbling) on A4 size papers (mom got a whole packet for me) and started pasting that all over the house. My dad is very fussy about the house walls and he really didn’t like that. He nailed a huge chart paper in the ‘drawing room’ and asked me to paste all my drawings only in that. But I didn’t like it coz I had to replace the old once to make space for the new once. It was then when I came to know about ‘glass painting’ from a cousin of mine who had joined classes for that in summer vacations. He told me that in ‘glass painting’ all he had to do is to get a glass sheet which he keeps on top of any picture and then with a brush he just needed to draw the out-line of the picture. He got special colours for that which were costlier than the usual water colours.


My house interior doors got glass sheets and I tried ‘glass painting’ with my water colours. I drew a flower first and it actually looked good! Well then there was no looking back. I drew… drew… drew… it was fun and easy!!! I could easily rub off with a wet duster as I was using only water colours. Dad was also happy coz it was a part of ‘interior decoration’ :)


I just clicked a few of those pictured from my mobile phone. Resolution of my camera is just 1.3 MB so pics wont be very clear but then they didn’t come out badly too!! As a friend of mine once said ‘mobile phones are not meant for photography’ but still… If I get a digital camera, I will replace these pics.

























8 comments:

BK said...

you call yourself "not a trained painter"..
i wonder wat you would have done if you were a trained painter.. :)
on a serious note.. some talents are inborn .. u r just born with it..

u post has inspired me to put up some of my paintings too.. :)

Iya said...

hey shruti, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comments there. u can surely follow me, y will i mind :)

i like that painting of the father and daughter and the balck umbrella..keep it up..

nila said...

Well...........thats so kool da..its wonderful that you possess such talent ......after one doesn't have to be a MF to do great things....we can make a difference in every small thing we do...small moves baby...make way for great things.... :)

Viyoma said...

Excellent Paitings....cute blog entries too...

PhilO♥ said...

Hey!
Even i'm into drawing. You draw well !!! The elephant one is so cute :)

Karthick said...

Honestly speaking I was taking my own time to comment on this post because your work is so breathtaking and I wanted to go through it really well before I can give a comment.Your art reminds of my sis wen she was young,she used to paste her work all around the house,on the fridge ,on the mirror, everywhere.And your a very artistically talented, I wonder I have the caliber to appreciate you because I was grounded by my biology teacher just for the sole reason "I just cannot draw".I Really liked the Ganesha, the aam aadmi with newspaper,and the father-daughter duo in rain,shows your depth of insight in humanity.Kudos !! Fabulous!!!( And of the tag you gave yourself "The female MF Hussain" Guess You certainly deserve it)

Shruti Narayanan said...

Thank u everyone!! Its really sweet of u all to appreciate my work. I really didnt expected this much of appreciation when i was posting it. Am on cloud 9!!

Unknown said...

hey yaar jitni achi photos camera se aayi hain na utni toh rality mein bhi nahin thi.hee hee.nahin nahin i was joking.all paintings are really very good.my favourites are(in order of liking): elephant,shruti playing with satyan,shruti holding umbrella with uncle,tweetttyyy.