Wednesday, June 3

Physics n Philosophy.


For all those who don't know, am presently doing my Post Graduation in Physics n by next year I'll b awarded a degree which will call me 'Master of Science' 8) How I got to this stream.. this subject... will make way for a damn long post n am not in a mood for 'story telling' now, so I'll keep it pending for the time being... but one small reason was coz one of my 'good' friend once said that he finds Physics very interesting n wanna write a book on this subject, I just wanted to find out what was so 'interesting' that he was so 'interested' in... well finally I found out :D

My mom always says that to become successful in the academic field, u either have to be Blessed with intelligence or u need to work very very hard. I never belonged to the first category but yeah I work hard. U c working hard could always fetch me amazing score but then I have to confess that I never really understood what I read... it was just the 'mugging up' thing for me always n I always scored well thanks to my memory n the 'almonds' my dad used to get ;)

Till my school days, I was one of those 'typical dump toppers' who had nothing else to do in life than studying the whole day long, well... u c mugging up actually takes longer time! It was not that I was completely blind about what am mugging up but then 'learning' n 'reading' r two different things n I always did the later. It was not until I saw my first year graduation marks that I realized my 'old golden rule' is not gonna work with Physics... this one subject need me to tickle all the other cells in my brain n to actually work hard in not mugging up, but in understanding the subject.

I don't claim to have understood the subject by now but then from where I stood a few years back till now, I can definitely say that I have started understanding the subject. This one subject has changed my personality like anything! U know what, a true Physicist is never interested in the final answer to the problem, all that he/she is interested is to find the 'right approach' to solve the problem coz once thats done, its just Mathematics to get to the final solution. And we Physicist use mathematics as a tool to get to the sophisticated form of final answer but are never slaves to mathematics.

What Physics has done to me is something which my old friends can easily see n feel but for all those who don't know me so well, lemme tell u...

Back in school I was d kind of girl who didn't even had the courage to raise her hand to ask doubts coz I used to fell so shy thinking the whole class will be looking at me. When we used to be given questions to solve, even if I could solve it before anyone else, I used to feel so awkward to let it out... yeah that was me... very shy n so low in confidence that I used to tremble when someone talks to me. I used to be so lost those days... day dreaming... n I used to do everything in dreams only. But today I find myself changed... I have learn to approach my problems n I have got the confidence that I can solve it. I feel very proud of the fact that am conquering a subject which is considered 'very tough' n only a handful of people can understand that. I feel on top of the world when I c my the reactions like "Oh! my god! Physics?"... or "U must b Einstein to be studying Physics"... "U know Physics is one subject I never could understand".. blah! blah! blah!

Well... now Physics is my breathing subject. Now that I have learned the way to study Physics, I find it amazingly 'Interesting'... this subject doesn't asks me to sit with a pile of books open n spend 7 hrs in my study room... this one just asks me to spend 24 hrs in a day thinking about it... I have now kinda become something like a crazy scientist who has 'great Physics theories' running in mind non-stop... its not just why do birds fly n why do apples fall... its more than that now... I can now find Physics in everything I do... yday my bro came back from play n sat "thud" on the chair n the chair moved backward a little... I rushed to take out my diary to note it as a problem of 'moment of inertia' :) A few days back standing at the metro station I was noticing the springs n transmission lines n was trying to figure out the applications of all those things...

I feel proud of the fact that I have really grown Intelligent thanks to this subject... I find myself more witty n quick to answer these days. The change in my personality or rather the improvement wouldn't have been possible otherwise. Though I do feel nervous when I face some problem but then I remind myself that am a Physicist n if I could solve complected 'Quantum mechanics' problems then this is nothing... I get back my cool, analyze the problem n choose the right approach. 2 great things Physics has taught me 'Observation' n 'Analysis' n am much more confident n smarter these days :)

I love Physics!!


14 comments:

Adisha said...

Wow babes, you study physics ???!!! :0

Lolzzz. I know you don't want to hear that, but I felt really good reading you have grown to love the subject just coz of your hard work and dedication to it ...

Good for you babes. That shows that you'll do well in life...

Oh and solving with the Right approach thing, Really helps in Every walk of life, so you're pretty much set :D

I used to love physcis when I was in 11th, in engineering just had in first year and then lost touch ... but my physics teacher in 11th was this awesome man who used to teach with such great examples that the brain used to tickle to solve more and more problems :)

well, kudos to you !! Keep at it ...

The Vitruvian Boy said...

everything around us is physics...
I loved physics too...
that was when i was in school...
well the love affair died soon...
and i changed streams at college....

But then certain ads related to physics still turn my heads...
for eg TVS apache walla AD.....





nice post..
keep writing... :)

Aparajita said...

I always hated the subject you love!! :D

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Adisha - sweety ur comments r just as sweet as u... always a pleasure to receive them :) yeah n 'right approach' works magic! oh so u r an engineer.. never knew that!

@ Vithuvian - same pinch on that! n thanks for ur visit..

@ Aparajita - well.. its not worth hatred for sure!

Dr. Internet said...

So here is another physics lover? Physics is my fav subject too! But.. ummm.. let me think.. It was my fav 7years ago! When i was at class 12th. lol. My taste is very changeable!

CRD said...

hehe. i was shy like u in school. i too never raised my hand ever even if i knew answers :P But im better now.

I used to mug up too. was damn good at it. my memory is still damn good, coz i remember dates and phone nos

Nice post. Hope u go a long way in physics :)

Cheers
CRD

Toon Indian said...

Wow..Physics was one subject that I found really interesting while studying for JEE..the problems were really interesting but the answers weren't ..as I could never reach them :P

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ doc - well yeah tastes do change but once a fav is always a fav in my case :)

@ CRD - thanks thanks!! great to receive comments from my kindda bloggers :D

@ Rahul - haa haa.. i know.. but in physics reaching answers is not considered as imp as attempting the ques but yeah that doesnt stand for JEE preps!!

neha said...

GREAT post!
well...You know wat...I still love physics A LOT...even though we have parted ways (lolzz)

Of course, I dont love physics the way you do...but yes, I can understand the high your mind gets, when something as fundamental as a problem of physics tickles your mind. It feels like you are talking to God, asking him questions about the most fundamental rules he followed while playing creation-creation, and challenging him on them!

Physics is so complicated yet so uncomplicated, so born out of pure common sense...I understand baby, its simply thrilling.

and guess where the confidence comes from? Its not physics, you think the way you are thinking abt any subject, any thing, confidence comes rushing in!...

Ramaswamy said...

AMAZING POST !
couldn't agree more. Physics was the love of my life till school.
There is just one thing i would like to add:
Though, I never appreciated the idea of learning from books which in way instills others theories/belief in you without you knowing it. I always believed in challenging the view point of various authors until i was fully satisfied with the content. Of late i have realized that others previous work just builds the stepping stone for you and nothing else but nonetheless you have to go through them to do something yet not discovered/ observed.


Hope you enjoy LIVING PHYSICS !

Shruti Narayanan said...

@ Neha - god playing 'creation-creation' where do u get such things from?? lol.. blog that if u can! thrill bingo! thats the word i missed out. thrilled! so tru!! probably i never thought so much on any subject ever.. but wat ever who cares where it came from, am glad it came at-last! :D

@ Rama - Ah! I was bugging u so much for this very post only. Was thinking of u while writing so wanted to know ur reaction on this. I noticed that u have noticed d 'change' n the other day in saket mall when u were giving comments on the changes u noticed in me, i wasnt really listening so thought of doing it myself! Yeah i know u never liked reading theories from books directly rather u wanted to make them of ur own. n yeah what u have realised is quite right, one cant start from apple falling each time right :)

Siva said...

In my own experiance i could say teachers play more important role to make you interested in some subjects. There are so many other things which mould up people and i accept physics is one of them. Hope you apply what you learn :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Welcome to my world !!!!!!!!!!: Physics n Philosophy." to our Directory of Science . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Scienz.info Team

http://www.scienz.info

Malavikka said...

Vow! What a way of approach. Was there someone to appreciate n tell the beauty of every other subject I'm faced with, I'm sure "the reluctance with learning" will turn into "learning was ever fun". I wish u encourage and help many more people with the power of your words. Cheers!~:)