Tuesday, February 23

D Backbenchers


Its been almost 2 weeks since 3rd sem results are out, but still my department has not yet fully recovered. My results, much more than my expectations!! Seriously, this time every exam was a mess. I was under such a bad phase of life during the exam days that I had stopped expecting anything out of myself. But yeah sum incidents in life make my belief in God go stronger. I scored 80% this time. Cheese!!

Am not writing this to boast about my marks, rather I have a thought in my head which is disturbing me for the past two weeks. I was in bus going back home when I got to know my results thru sms. Next day morning when I was passing my million dollar smile to my classmates, it hurted me to receive back tears. I could find many gloomy faces, disappointment and sadness dropping from eyelids, people giving lectures on positive thinking, encouraging each other to face the world boldly and to move forward, people promising themselves that they will do well next time. Ayushi and Savita were busy consoling and saying "sab theek ho jayega". I couldn't do that. I stood alone in a corner, watching the whole scenario and crying softly.

I don't understand how can I go to sumone with 50% aggregate and say "sab theek ho jayega", when I just cant c and understand "sab theek kese hoga?". I don't understand how can I ask a person to smile when they have scored so low. I don't understand how can I celebrate my good marks when my near-n-dear once are sad. I tried to stay away from all these discussions. When such sensitive topics starts, I always prefer isolation. I don't like and just cant see anyone crying. It makes me feel very low. I forgot all about my happiness and got very disturbed.

That day in lab when I was working with my circuit, Mung came. He was working sitting next to me when he congratulated me for my results. When I asked him, he said his aggregate is 30%. I froze for a second. He didn't notice and continued his talk. He said "When I was doing my graduation, I was the topper in my university. That time when my brother used to score less, I used to tell him to study. But now I realize, sumtimes one doesn't score well even if he studies". I put my circuit down and looked at him. He stopped his work, looked at me and said "Shru... when u become a professor and u c that a student has not scored well, don't think he is not studying". tap... tap... tap... there my precious tears which I was holding on since morning finally started falling. Mung tried to stop me and he felt bad thinking he has hurt me. But that's not true. 'He' didn't hurt me, its sumthing else that has actually hurt me. And I still have not figured out what it is.

Next day for the morning 10 o'clk lecture, I was a little late so missed out on the first bench. Though I could have managed a seat in the front rows, I took this as a chance to go and sit in the last bench. Incidentally, Mung came and sat next to me and said "Probably its the first time in this sem that u r sitting in the last bench". My mental dialogue "Its the first time in my whole life that am sitting in the last bench"! I noticed many things sitting from there. Firstly, its very difficult to concentrate on the lecture when ur neighbor is busy pressing the keypad of mobile phone constantly or eating lunch or discussing the blue eye-shadow with blue jeans! I tried my best to concentrate on the 'green-board' but I noticed that when u don't c the writings on the board so clearly from the last seat, a certain level of frustration develops which doesn't let a person enjoy the lectures. Sitting in the first bench, I used to get lost during lectures and it used to feel like sir is taking a private tuition for me. But when u r on the last bench and u c 200 heads in front of u, all shaking and doing all the possible acts, one sure gets distracted.

After the lecture got over, I shared my observations with my friends (d frontbenchers) I got to hear arguments like "y don't those ppl interact with us", "we never deny for notes", "y don't they ask sir to write boldly if they cant c", etc. etc. "Those ppl" here refers to the backbenchers. I noticed that a 'class' is broadly divided into two groups, the frontbenchers and the backbenchers. I realized its very easy for the frontbenchers to ask doubts coz they see only 'sir' in front of them while for the backbenchers, they see 'sir' after crossing 200 heads and that makes their life tougher.

Yeah but one thing I don't understand yet, y do people sit in the backbench when they want to score like the frontbenchers!

13 comments:

ABHISHEK KUMAR said...

Your story is very hearting. I am glad that you also thinks for backbenchers and you tried to understand by sitting in that frame. Though my marks is 61%, but same thing happen with me when on the same sms I got my marks as well as Pankaj’s marks who was at 48% and I was unable to explain how to improve though I believe that he has more knowledge than me.

sm said...

yes its real problem
back bench and marks,
i feel that guys who sit in the back are also intelligent but they fear or lack confidence
something they lack.
intelligence is same

Jack said...

Shruti,

Read 2 posts now. It surely is much more enjoyable when you attend wedding of a friend than that of a relative. In former you are there to have nice time while in later you are expected to share some chore or the other apart from feeling that you are under scanner all the time. It is not nice to isolate yourself when you have done well from those who have not as it would convey wrong message. You can offer your help rather than leaving them alone. Some students choose to sit on back benches as they feel life is for fun and do not take studies seriously. Now you know the difference and what makes them distracted. As your friend said when you become Professor, keep this fact in mind.

Take care

Sucha said...

Quite a nice relating "straight" from heart types..But if all sit on the 1st bench who will sit behind?? :) The world needs all kinda ppl I guess..

Unknown said...

Yaar i want to share something with you.When i got admission in my new school,i didnt get seat in the front row.I always used to sit in last row and scored very badly.Yes i totally agree with you that sitting at the last bench is very distracting but in my opinion last bench is not responsible for scoring bad.I realised it when i shared my result with my dad.He told me that stop wasting time in thinking about the result and think for the solution .After thinking VERY HARD(yaar i dont have the habit of thinking always ,like you)about what went wrong,i told my teachers to do rotation everyday.You know what ,we cant do anything for the backbenchers,they only have to realise what is the missing part.So moral of the story is BE BOLD N FACE LIFE BRAVELY..okkkk now about the post.yaar you can imagine after reading this LONNNNG story what magical effect does it have.THREE CHEERS TO YOU.

7-aTe-9 said...

:-) nicely written, shruti...
but there r only so many seats in the front. i guess the backbenchers r actually sacrificing for the frontbenchers...

hehe....

Shruti Narayanan said...

@Abhishek - firstly, "welcome to my world"... i really feel very happy when my non-blogger friends reads my blog and comments. sachi boloon toh that day in front of CSL when we were discussing ur marks, i felt bad coz i know kuch subjects mein u have more knowledge than me. but haan sirf 'kuch' subjects mein ;)

@sm - agreed.

@Jack - i know its very bad to isolate, its like running from reality and it gives an image like am 'too proudy' and i have heard ppl talking abt my attitude probs, but am learning to improve on that. wil take time, but i wil work i out sumday.

@Sucha - hee hee.. yeah thats a good point.

@Ayu - tera bracket wala sentence make me laugh badly. haan i know u dont have the overthinking syndrome like me, but that was a good thought. guess it wil b a little too immature to be implemented in colleges. but i got ur 'moral of the story', i can never forget the lecture u gave me outside the dept. if not for u, i would have felt very lonely that time. u r my ever best friend yaar.. thank god u r there to take care of me :)

@7-8-9 wat a sacrifice! hee hee..

Sree said...

I've always been a backbencher and loved every moment of my school+college life!! :)
We too have dreams ;) of scoring high marks...we look forward to the front benchers to lead the way...our thouhgt process is like
"when they can do it, why cant we do like them?" :) Its not some kind of competition with the frontbenchers but with ourselves! :)
Being a backbencher, I used to love scribbling poetry and rants as well draw the back frame of gals sitting in front! ;)

Waise an award awaiting for you, at my space!! :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the score. You need to give yourself more credit! :)

And I totally relate to your posts about friends marrying! Time flies! :)

Sanket said...

I am first time reader of your blog and I must say, well written. A lot changes over 8 semesters of Engineering. Sometimes the marks do not reflect what you really are. One more thing, the back-benchers rule!

Unknown said...

Awesome words by...Dr A.P.J Kalam.....
"first bench students are intellegent...only until last bench students don't perticipate in the competition...."....

but
according to ty...
"u r such a wonderful creature wit such a talent and such a caring heart.... u deserved to b blessed.."

Anonymous said...

Bravo, remarkable idea

Anonymous said...

to have a successful blog has a simple formula: do your best, and people may like it. and you did it man great work...